The Department of Education and Sport Development (DESD) together with the North West Provincial Sports Confederation (NWPSC) embarked on the creation of the Provincial Sports Awards brand, in a bid to reward North West sports stars for their efforts in keeping the passion of sport alive in the hearts of the Province and of millions of South Africans through their efforts in local and national sports competitions.
The North West Sports Awards (NWSA) has been created to recognise and honour individuals and teams who have excelled both on and off the field from 01st July 2017 to 31st July 2018.
Sports Awards Categories
The Awards carry a total of Twenty Two (24) categories including the MEC of Education and Sport Recreation Award categories. The categories recognise: individuals; males; females; people with a disability; national and provincial participants; provincial federations; recreation bodies, schools, indigenous games, sport legends, media and community sport builders. All the categories will be recognised for the period 01 July 2017 to 31 July 2018.
1. Sport Administrator of the Year
2. Sportsman of the Year
3. Sportsman of the Year with a Disability
4. Sportswoman of the Year
5. Sportswoman of the Year with a Disability
6. Team of the Year
7. Newcomer of the Year
8. Coach of the Year
9. Volunteer of the Year
10. Indigenous Games Team of the Year
11. Provincial Federation of the Year
12. Recreation Body of the Year
13. Photographer of the Year
14. Journalist of the Year
15. Sports Star of the Year
16. School Team of the Year
17. Developing School Team of the Year
18. School Sports Coach of the Year
19. School Sportsman of the Year
20. School Sportswoman of the Year
21. School Sports Administrator of the Year
22. School Sports Association/Federation of the year
23. MEC of Education Sport and Recreation’s Awards
Lifetime Achiever Award
Community Sport Developer Award
24. Posthumous Award
Nominations for the awards are unlimited in number. Sports organisations may, therefore, nominate as many athletes as they wish for any of the respective award categories in the period 01 July 2017 to 31 July 2018.
Generic Criteria for Nominees:
A Nominee must -
1. be a North West Citizen;
2. conform to the definition of a Provincial Federation in terms of the National Sport and Recreation Act, 1998 (Act No. 110 of 1998 as amended), if applicable;
3. be a registered member of a Provincial Federation recognised by NWPSC and the Professional Leagues of recognised national federation), if applicable;
4. have excelled in the considered Awards qualifying period; and
5. be recognised and registered as a school by the Department of Basic Education), if applicable.
Download the Sports Award RULEBOOK 2018
The 4th edition of the Provincial Sport Awards 2018, winners